it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca a

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca and console
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:15:50 -0700

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:46:55AM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> Maybe we should talk to the gdm devs howto set environment variables
> before running the deskotop files from the autostart folder.
> I don't like the idea to modify the orca script to set variables.

I agree; I am clueless as to the inner workings of gdm and how it may
spawn tasks like Orca and all.  That's why I think of modifying the
orca startup script as being a hack of sorts; it seems odd that tasks
spawned by gdm don't inherit its environment.  I guess that would have
to be explicitly passed or something.

> Have you used su as well for chaning the uid?

If you mean for running speech-dispatcher, yes.  I didn't change
anything else to run Orca so orca assumes gdm as its user based on the
fact that the .local/share./orca directory is found under
/var/lib/gdm.