freature request for ibmtts module

From: Bart Bunting
Subject: freature request for ibmtts module
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:26:31 +1100

Hi William and list,

I understand your point about ibmtts being closed source and unsupported
etc etc.
However there is just no getting around that ibmtts is still the most
responsive, intelligible and configureable (in terms of voice changes)
engine we have available.  Of course this is my opinion only.  Espeak is
making great progress though.

This being said I personally would welcome anything that made using
 ibmtts with SD easier.

I guess it comes down to if anyone wants to put the cycles into making
 this change or not.

I personally have gone to much effort over the years to continue having
ibmtts working with SD, emacspeak etc on my computers.  Currently I
don't have ibmtts working on my 64 bit system with SD.  I am running it
in a chroot for the emacspeak speech server.

Regards

Bart

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:38:28 -0500, William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Halim,
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:37:09PM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
> > hi,
> > Current situation:
> > Currently sd_ibmtts links against libibmeci and libetidev which are not
> > free and the distributors can't ship a compiled sd_ibmtts module with
> > their speechd package.
> >
> > Suggestion:
> > There is a ibmtts-sdk available on sourceforge.net which could be used
> > to create/refactor the sd_ibmtts module.
> > If the module doesn't link against the libibmeci by dynamically loading
> > it at runtime (dlopen) the package could be shipped with the
> > distributions.
> > Afaik the bsd license is compatible with gpl/lgpl. We could ship the
> > eci.h file with speechd package and enable the compilation of the module
> > (at least on 32 bit systems).
> > The module itself needs to dlopen the libibmeci at runtime and could be
> > build without having the real working library at compile time.
>
> better suggestion, imho:
>
> IBMTTS is depricated.  It uses extremely old libstdc++, is closed
> source, non-free and more importantly not supported.  It is also 32 bit
> only, which is another serious issue since 64 bit systems are becoming
> more common.
>
> I'll be the first to say that the voices it has are quick and
> responsive.  I use eloquence on Windows and like it, but, I feel that on
> linux we need to be advocating another solution.  Not so much because it
> is non-free, but because it has been abandoned by the upstream
> developers, and for licensing reasons will never be released to the
> community as source.
>
> In other words, I feel that we shouldn't go out of our way to support
> it since it is not being maintained by the developers.
>
> I realize this is just my opinion.  Iam willing to work with the rest of
> the community on this issue, but I feel that I needed to state my
> opinion.
>
> What does everyone else think?
>
> William

Non-text part: application/pgp-signature
From: Bart Bunting <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: freature request for ibmtts module
To: Halim Sahin <halim.sahin at t-online.de>, speechd at lists.freebsoft.org