freature request for ibmtts module

From: William Hubbs
Subject: freature request for ibmtts module
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:01:10 -0500

Hi Hynek and Halim,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 07:56:37PM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> On 19.10.2010 22:37, Halim Sahin wrote:
> > Suggestion:
> > There is a ibmtts-sdk available on sourceforge.net which could be used
> > to create/refactor the sd_ibmtts module.
> >

> Hello Halim,
>
> if you want to submit a patch, we will not block it, of course.
> There are other people like you who might appreciate even
> small improvements. You must however understand if other
> people do not want to spend work on this, if they know
> IBM TTS is very likely to stop working alltogether sooner
> or later.

That's the problem I see with it.  Since it is unsupported, any patching
we do to support it is basically a bandaid or a kludge.  It will
eventually stop working.

> I can't judge how much benefit could we gain from your
> suggestion, and whether this is the key problem that
> is keeping distributions from shipping sd_ibmtts. But
> if you are convinced it would be an improvement,
> I'd say go for it!

I think the improvement is only that binary distros would possibly be
able to supply sd_ibmtts as part of their packages for 32 bit systems.

The other thing about ibmtts is that 64 bit systems are becoming more
and more common, and even if we accept this patch, it will not work for
64 bit systems, because the packagers will have to build that module in
32 bit mode and drop it into the packages since you can't dlopen a 32
bit library in a 64 bit program.

I think this should be supported by the distros (downstream) if they
want to do it, but we shouldn't have to worry about it at our level.

Halim, if you do submit this patch, are you prepared to support it for
all of the binary distros out there?

William