Playback rate adjustment on Android

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Playback rate adjustment on Android
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:01:11 -0500

Hi, Thomas and others.  The youtube video unfortunately shows speeding
up music rather than speech, which is unfortunate.  I've downloaded
the rockbox source code and examined the tdspeed.c algorithm they use
carefully.  It speeds up speech extremely well, with low distortion,
up to 2.5X.  That limit of 2.5X is artificial, as the author probably
thought no one listens faster than that.  However, with minor
adjustments, it does 4-5X speed up very well.  I am not sure, but I
think sonic sounds very slightly better at these speeds, but it could
be my imagination.

Bill