rfc module autodetection patch set

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: rfc module autodetection patch set
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:05:12 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 02:57:51PM +0000, Christopher Brannon wrote:
> Andrei Kholodnyi <andrei.kholodnyi at gmail.com> writes:
> > This will be really difficult.
> > how can you figure out what modules you want to exclude?
> > Let's say you put 100 modules in MODULEBINDIR and want only espeak be
> > loaded?
>
> I hadn't thought about that.  A simple ExcludeModule directive doesn't
> really cover that case, because you'd end up having to write 99
> ExcludeModule statements.

 part of me says just don't install 100 modules if you don't want them.
 Another part thinks the really right thing to do is only start modules
 when someone says they want to use it, and the third part agrees this
 is the right approach.

> > I'd rather say we stay with AddModule and if there is no AddModule
> > directives in conf,
> > we load everything and if some are present we load only these modules.
>
> Hi Andrei,
> Ok, that seems good.  If we don't find any AddModule directives, then
> resort to auto-discovery.  How do we deal with the pesky generic
> module?  In my opinion, we shouldn't try to detect it automatically.
> Should the existence of an
> AddModule "foo-generic" "sd_generic" "foo-generic.conf"
> directive also disable module discovery?  I suppose it should, for
> consistency's sake.

that seems simpler.  I think the issue is that we want autodetection to
be the default in standard setups for users who want to install there
own modules, mostly ibmtts and don't want to deal with the
configuration.

Trev