rfc module autodetection patch set

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: rfc module autodetection patch set
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:29:38 -0500

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 03:09:28PM +0100, Tomas Cerha wrote:
> Dne 18.11.2010 12:40, Trevor Saunders napsal(a):
> > There are some things that should be thought about some here.
> > * currently modules file name starts with sd_xxxx do we have a good
> >  reason for this when coming up with a name rom each file this code
> >  simply adds three to the pointer to the string to skip the sd_ when
> >  getting the name, which should be checked if we want to keep the sd_
> >  prefix.
>
> It may be nice for troubleshooting for example, so that you easily recognize
> SD modules
> in ps and such.  I't probably not a strong argument, however.

fair point, I don't see any really good reason to get rid of it though.

> > *it would be nice for autodetection to be able to work with the generic
> > module to some degree, based on the way the current support works this
> > is fairly easy if we can add links in MODULEBINDIR from say
> > espeak-generic to the binary sd_generic that way the detection would try
> > to exec sd_generic with the config file modules/espeak-generic.conf.
>
> Sounds nice.  The only objection that comes to my mind is portability.  What
> about file
> systems, that don't support symlinks?  Why not discover just the available
> generic
> configuration files?

hmm, are there any such file systems?  looking at configuration files
could work.

> Also, what about detection whether a particular generic module is actually
> available?
> The sd_generic binary is in place, the symlink is in place, the configuration
> file is in
> place as well, but tha actual tts binary is not installed...  I think someone
> already
> suggested adding an option to the generic module configuration, that would
> allow testing
> for availability of the particular generic module (i.e. testing the
> availability of the
> required tts binary).  SD would attempt to make this check for all discovered
> generic
> module configurations (or symlinks if people prefer them).

yes, this is a good point, but I think we already have to solve this
problem to some extent because some modules like cicero can be inplace,
and still not work, because they assume they can exec programs at run
time or other things.  I think having such modules run a check that they
can work at startup and exiting if not may be a good solution.

Trev