libsonic source hosting

From: Halim Sahin
Subject: libsonic source hosting
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:54:50 +0100

Hi,
On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 03:03:24PM +0100, Bohdan R. Rau wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:13:44 +0100, Halim Sahin <halim.sahin at t-online.de>
> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > if you plan to integrate it in speechd please make it optional (to be
> > able to build speechd on other distros than ubuntu).
>
> At 1 - integration is essential, so it's not possible to make it optional
> (as it's not possible to make dotconf as optional).

This will produce same problems like dotconf.
Dotconf is used in speechd and afaik there is no other app using it.
Speechd uses now a version which was not included in most distros.
This will ony prevent the use of new speechd version in up-to-date
distributions.

> At 2 - what's the problem with building speechd on other distros, if you
> have sources?

Nothing, only some trouble to build now dotconf, libdumptts, libsonic
and speechd because of missing integration.

> For me the only problem is Ubuntu (because Canonical
> developers want to have it's product colourful, shinning, flashing, playing
> nice melodies and probably recitating Shaekspeare's sonets, but
> "accessibility" is only nice word which you can find on Ubuntu homepage).
> Simple example: dumbtts exists from about two years. As far as I know the
> only distro where libdumbtts exists as package and Ivona module is compiled
> by default is PLD, not Ubuntu...

FULLACK regarding ubuntu's a11y.
As you have described pld includes libdumbtts and who should package it
to debian suse arch gentoo ubntu etc???

Speechd is now at version 0.6.7 which is really old in Gentoo.
Debian stable also uses that version only.
In new debian squeeze we will get 0.7.0 with aditional patches etc.
The dotconf dependency to 1.3 is alread bad.
If you add more we won't get new versions of speechd quickly because the
aditional stuff must be included first.

> At 3 - it's problem for distros developers, not for speech-dispatcher
> developers.

Keep it simple if you want the stuff included.
Most of the distropackagers are doing that job in their spare time.

> If developer, i.e. Debian's is not able to find sources which
> were slipped under his nose, he rather should egage in trade with parsley.

:-(.
?????
Regards
Halim