libsonic source hosting

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: libsonic source hosting
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:20:15 +0100

On 8.12.2010 18:17, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
> The current development version of eSpeak at:
>      http://espeak.sf.net/test/latest.html
> includes Sonic, as a file sonic.cpp compiled with eSpeak.

This is good!

Jonathan, which way of distribution would you prefer from the
eSpeak side?

> If a synthesizer can use Sonic intelligently then we wouldn't need
> Speech Dispatcher (or NVDA or other higher-level entity) to also apply
> a speed-up.  However such a speed-up may be useful for other
> synthesizers which people what to use at faster speeds than they
> provide.

Yes. The main task of Speech Dispatcher is management
of messages and the TTS systems. All processing done on
the message text (input) or audio data (output) has a status of
emulations.

So if a TTS can produce very fast speech, we should definitely use
the native capabilities provided by the synthesizer.

Best regards,
Hynek Hanke