pull request for Espeak pitch range fork

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: pull request for Espeak pitch range fork
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 13:07:58 -0400

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:15:49AM EDT, Hussain Jasim wrote:
> Hi, I couldn't find anywhere on the website to do this.

I am aware of the features github provides for proposing changes to a
repository, however at this time, the Speech Dispatcher project does not have a
presence on github, so the best way to contribute changes is via the mailing
list. The website does not go into detail as to the best way to propose
changes, so I will see what can be done about clarrifying this.

> I've pollished up my Speech Dispatcher fork to add support for
> Espeak's pitch range (AKA inflection) control, and I'd like to get it
> merged into upstream. I've been using it for a while now on my system,
> and no issues have come up.

Thanks for your work. Pulling from a branch from a maintenance point of view
may be a little easier, however it makes it harder for code review. This
doesn't appear to be a large patch set, so in future, please consider sending
such changes as a patch set to the mailing list, to allow for easier commenting
on changes in the diff. As above, I will see what I can do about making this
clearer on the website. I suggest you read the man pages for the git
format-patch and git send-email commands, which will give you information on
how to create a patch set, and send them via email to the list.

Firstly, the 2 most recent commits in your changes, commits
f7e97dff618ae0c7ade00ff7b7958411a88e1cca and
0022c0709be4bdbd886e0ff08d1ba46096cb81c3 respectively. From the description of
the commits, I can only guess that you were attempting to update your
repository to be in sync with more recent changes from the main Speech
Dispatchre git repository. There are a couple of ways that you could do this,
either with the git merge command, or the git rebase command. Git rebase in
this instance is preferable, because it pulls the latest changes from the main
Speech Dispatcher repository, and attempts to put your own commits on top of
the latest Speech Dispatcher changes. I suggest you have a read of the git
rebase man page to learn more. The commits I mentioned actually revert some of
the changes you made in previous commits.

I haven't tested the code yet, but it looks ok to me so far at a glance.
However, in git commit 24d551d421ef0a8aa6cebce431c73b1853edbdc7, in
src/server/msg.h I see you changed the return values for a lot of the message
return strings. I understand that you thought it best to keep the pitch related
return strings logically grouped in the file, and that is ok, however it is
wiser to assign a return value that is greater than all other return values
already in use. There are other bindings and clients of Speech Dispatcher that
do not use the C library interface or the python bindings. These clients and
other language bindings talk to Speech Dispatcher directly via the SSIp
protocol. These clients and bindings may very well look for specific return
values when communicating, so bumping the return values as you did would likely
break some client or bindings in a bad way.

As for the autotools files, please make sure you clean your repo of any build
files before committing. In the meantime, I will see about adding autotools
build files to .gitignore such that they don't get included accidentally in the
future.

At this point, I don't expect you to totally revise your branch and fix things
up. I see that you are somewhat unfamiliar with git, and how contributions are
made to Speech Dispatcher, so if you could consider my advice for the future,
that would be appreciated.

I will cherry-pick your changes into a local branch, and test them. I will get
back to you with further information once I have tested things myself and
looked at the code in greater detail.

thanks again for your contribution.

Luke