speechd-el: `C-e q` doesn't toggle speech off

From: Alain Kalker
Subject: speechd-el: `C-e q` doesn't toggle speech off
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 20:45:06 +0200

Hi list, Milan,

First off, thank you for creating this wonderful tool, I like how it is
much less invasive than Emacspeak :-)

I'm having a little problem, though, when I type `C-e q` to toggle
speech off, speechd-el keeps speaking.

With speech activated by typing `M-x speechd-speak`, when I then type
`C-e q` to toggle speach off, "Speaking turned on globally" is spoken
instead, and speech remains active, where I would expect it to be
toggled off.
When I type the same key combination again, the same text is spoken and
speech remains active.

The same goes for using a prefix: `C-u C-e q` speaks the text "Speaking
turned on locally", and repeating the key combination speaks the same
text and leaves speech activated.

I'm running Arch Linux x86_64, speechd-el from Git master, using Emacs
from its official repository, version 24.3-7. I haven't remapped any of
speechd-speak's keys or anything, my config in ~/.emacs is simply:

;; speechd-el
(autoload 'speechd-speak "~/vcs/git/speechd-el/speechd-speak" nil t)

;; Custom
(custom-set-variables
[...]
'(speechd-out-active-drivers (quote (ssip)))
[...]
)

Kind regards,

Alain