straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Re: Comments on the CVS version of Straw

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: [Straw-devel] Re: Comments on the CVS version of Straw
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:56:11 +1000

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:55, Michael JasonSmith wrote:
> > > No Quit on the toolbar. But you're quite right that the toolbar as it is
> > > is a bit lacking. Jan did make some changes to it, though.
> >
> > I hope we can make a concensus on this. The HIG says:
> >
> > "Place only the most commonly-used application functions on your
> > toolbars. Don't just add buttons for every menu item."
> >
> > I'm not sure if my changes suffice though.
> Do you envisage people quitting Straw "commonly".  If not, keep "Quit"
> under "File" and rely on experts hitting Ctrl-Q ;)

"Don't add buttons for Help, Close or Quit to your toolbar by default,
as these are rarely used and the space is better used for more useful
controls. [...]"

This is where a user-specified toolbar comes to mind. :)

> <hci-trivia>
> That 10s timeout is a good example of the "Unit Task" time from Card,
> Robertson and Mackinlay (1991).  After 10s the user starts to do
> something else, so I probably only noticed Straw polling after I checked
> my email, a minute or so latter :)
> </hci-trivia>

cool. :)

--
  .''`.     Jan Alonzo      jmalonzo at spaceants dot org
 : :' :    PGP fp: DB23 8CB2 E050 7737 B3C4  BB2C 5368 864B C70C 894A