straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Re: Comments on the CVS version of Straw

From: Michael JasonSmith
Subject: [Straw-devel] Re: Comments on the CVS version of Straw
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:24:48 +1200

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 14:56, Jan Alonzo wrote:
> "Don't add buttons for Help, Close or Quit to your toolbar by default,
> as these are rarely used and the space is better used for more useful
> controls. [...]"

I am trying to think what the most commonly used controls would be...
Oh, what does Evolution do[1]?  The toolbar in the main Evo' window has
the following buttons:

  New
  --------
  Send/Receive
  --------
  Reply to All
  --------
  Move
  Copy
  --------
  Print
  Stop
  --------
  Previous
  Next

Throwing out all the email-specific controls, and doing a quick bit of
renaming,  we get

  Poll
  Stop
  --------
  Previous
  Next

How is this for the "Default" controls?

> This is where a user-specified toolbar comes to mind. :)
Hmmm, "Expert User" stuff that leads to confusion :(  Expert users will
generally use shortcut keys (which you have a abundance :)) rather than
customise a toolbar.  If they are really that expert they can alter
"straw.glade" ;P

[1] I am not saying that Evolution is perfect, but it is a good place to
    start as it also displays temporally ordered documents, like straw.
    Besides, it is open in front of me :)

--
Michael JasonSmith                                   http://www.ldots.org/