straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Re: Comments on the CVS version of Straw

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: [Straw-devel] Re: Comments on the CVS version of Straw
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:33:38 +1000

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 02:04, Juri Pakaste wrote:

<snip>

> > 2.  The text beneath the icons should follow the desktop default.
> >     Don't alter the user's preference without a very good reason.
>
> Could you clarify? What are you referring to here exactly? I've used a
> stock icon with a non-standard text in a few places where the icon
> seemed to fit but the text didn't make any sense in the context of
> Straw. I'm not sure what the HIG has to say about this.

He's talking about complying to whatever the user sets in his "Menus &
Toolbars(Preferences->Menus & Toolbars)" settings. :)

> > 3.  "Preferences" should not be on the toolbar.  Instead the toolbar
> >     should contain "Refresh", "Find", "Help" (when done) and "Quit".
> >     Toolbars should contain the buttons that the user will select
> >     the most, and "Preferences" will rarely be selected once Straw is
> >     set up.
>
> No Quit on the toolbar. But you're quite right that the toolbar as it is
> is a bit lacking. Jan did make some changes to it, though.

I hope we can make a concensus on this. The HIG says:

"Place only the most commonly-used application functions on your
toolbars. Don't just add buttons for every menu item."

I'm not sure if my changes suffice though.

> > 6.  The default poling time should be greater than 30m, as Slashdot
> >     (which would be one of the main sites polled by Straw, I guess)
> >     blocks feeds that poll more than once every half hour.
>
> Oh, it does? But you're right, it should be longer.

I set the default interval to 60 minutes. Is that alright?

> > 7.  Maybe move the "Feed Information" and "Subscriptions and Blogroll"
> >     menu items into their own "View" menu.
>
> Maybe, yeah. The Go menu has been a generic dumping place for
> everything, but it can't be like that forever.
>
> > 9.  The feeds should be polled as soon as Straw starts or after
> >     "polling frequency" minutes have passed.  The current the
> >     behaviour to poll after a minute is confusing.
>
> I've been wondering what's that waiting period between startup and
> beginning of polling :-) I'm not quite sure if I've added it
> deliberately or what. You are right.

There's actually a 10 sec timeout before calling poll.  uhmm.. why not
just stick to poll_frequency? shutting down and starting up straw and
polling straightaway really defeats the purpose of "poll frequency".
Just my 0.02 cents :D

Cheers,

--
  .''`.     Jan Alonzo      jmalonzo at spaceants dot org
 : :' :    PGP fp: DB23 8CB2 E050 7737 B3C4  BB2C 5368 864B C70C 894A