[STUMP] Crash with some GTK apps

From: Pierre-Paul Paquin
Subject: [STUMP] Crash with some GTK apps
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:58:55 -0400

Hi,

StumpWM crashes on me with certain programs that map new windows during use. Here are the three examples I have, with steps to reproduce:

1. Pidgin
On start, maps one window (the "buddy list"). If I open the preferences window and then quit pidgin (either by pressing C-q, or using StumpWM's soft kill (C-t k) with the "buddy list" focused), then clisp exits errorfully with these messages: "handle_fault error2!", "SIGSEGV cannot be cured." and "Fault address: 0x0."  or "Fault adress: 0x1c" or some other ridiculously small number (maybe I shouldn't be using such a harsh word: I don't really know what I'm talking about). The same crash occurs if I open a chat window instead of the preferences window. If I close these extra windows before exiting pidgin, no problem occurs.

2. Gimp
On start, maps a few windows (the "main window", the list of layers, etc.). Pressing C-n will bring up the "new image" dialog window. Pressing C-q at that moment, or focusing the "main window" and issuing a soft kill will cause the same crash as described above. The same thing happens with whatever extra window I summon.

3. Deluge (svn version)
On start, maps one main window. Opening the "add torrent" window and quitting does not cause a problem. However, opening the "create torrent" window and quitting will crash in the same manner as above. Closing the created windows before quitting avoids the crash.

I think that's all the gtk apps I have installed. This doesn't happen with Firefox (which seems to be using gtk?). No matter how many new windows it maps, it will always exit properly, and won't crash clisp.

I don't mind this problem much, as it's easy to work around, but I hope this "bug report" (wait, is it even StumpWM's fault?) can be useful.

Also: hi, this is my first time here. I've tried a lot of tiling window managers, and StumpWM is definetely the one that sucks the least. Congratulations, I plan on keeping using it forever: it seems like it can do anything. Eventually I will learn Lisp.

-ppp-