Re: [STUMP] Problem with Mathematica 6

From: Kresimir Kumericki
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Problem with Mathematica 6
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:17:42 +0200

Dear Ian and Shawn,

thanks for your answers. Ian, thanks for Xnest-workaround script.
I had some funny experiences with Xnest in the past (similar to what you
mention),
so I am not sure this will be good enough for me (I really use Mathematica a
lot).

Shawn, thanks for trying to help. I'll try to answer your questions:

On (17 Oct 01:39), Shawn wrote:
> > (2) stumpwm is not responding (although process 'stumpwm' is still
> > running). I have to kill it and restart.
>
> This is unfortunate. stumpwm should cleanly restart in the event of an
> unhandled error. If this happens again try running strace on it to see
> what it's doing. Also see if it's using 100% of the cpu.

I am attaching the strace of crashed SBCL stumpwm and, yes, it's
using 100% of the cpu.

> > I use SBCL 0.9.16 under Debian stable.
>
> Have you tried this with clisp?

I have now. (Debian etch has too old clisp, so I compiled new clisp-2.45
and included new-clx module. However, I couldn't include libsigsegv for
some reason. I hope this is not essential.)

It turns out that clisp version of stumpwm behaves differently when
strace is on. Without strace, after starting Mathematica, it always crashes
completely (process 'stumpwm' is killed) and I am returned to xdm login
screen.

If I start it with 'strace stumpwm > logfile' in .xsession, then it
never crashes completely but
starting Mathematica forces it to restart with unhandled error which I
also attach. (After this error is reported, restarted stumpwm normally works,
but there is no frame for Mathematica window which is now inaccessible,
although it is running.)

> > 10: (XLIB:GET-WM-CLASS #<XLIB:WINDOW :0 E00324>)
> > 11: (STUMPWM::XWIN-CLASS #<XLIB:WINDOW :0 E00324>)
>
> It appears as though this could be a bug in portable clx. Can boot
> mathematica in another wm (ratpoison?) and run:
> xprop -id <mathematica window id> WM_CLASS

In ratpoison I get for troublesome Mathematica 6 window

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "XMathematica"

while nice-behaving Mathematica 5.2 window is:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Untitled-1", "XMathematica"

I don't know if any of this helps.

Kresimir

--
Kresimir Kumericki                            http://www.phy.hr/~kkumer/