summer-of-code

Re: GNU participation in GSoC 2012

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GNU participation in GSoC 2012
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 23:56:58 +0000

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 08:31:37PM -0300, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 00:25 +0100, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> > When you will decide on this?  From what i know, LilyPond isn't on FSF
> > high-priority projects list (and even if it's eligible for inclusion
> > there's no time to do this); if this would mean that we will get very
> > few slots (less than 3) then we may want to consider applying to GSoC
> > on our own.
>
> It is very unlikely that Google will accept GNU packages independently
> (unless they're large enough, like GCC or GNOME). Hurd used to be a
> separate org in the past, but they haven't been approved recently.

Hmm.  My instinct would be to try it separately, anyway.  We're
not the size of gcc or gnome, but we're not trivial:

- 16 years old
- 167,874 lines of code (according to sloccount), not counting
  documentation.  If you count all files in our git repository
  (including documentation and translations), it's slightly over a
  million lines.
- 125 authors, with an average of 182 commits per author
  http://lilypond.org/~graham/gitstats-all/
- we have a 184-page contributor's guide
  http://lilypond.org/development.html

GSoC accepts plenty of projects which are smaller than lilypond.

- Graham