swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] header directory structure

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] header directory structure
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:25:23 -0700

On Jul 8, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

That should just work in Xcode. In Cocoa code, you would use #import <Swarm/defobj.h> This looks in Swarm.framework/Headers where it finds defobj.h via the symlinks.

Within Swarm and Swarm model code we have #include <defobj/defobj.h> which is found through the '-I /Library/Swarm.framework/Versions/ Current/include' option setup by configure.

Right, which is exactly the problem I'm talking about... #import <Swarm/defobj.h> is not the same as #include <defobj/defobj.h>, so we have two different ways to include in headers, making Swarm apps not source code identical across the two systems. My suggestion was to standardize on #import <Swarm/defobj.h>

Currently I don't think these are needed on Mac, I let the system libraries handle the different architectures.

It would be very pleasing if that were right. I can see that model code does not need to use arch dependent headers, but I not quite convinced about the Swarm library build.

Well let me rephrase, for the Cocoa/Apple runtime work, I don't think these are needed. For using GNU runtime with tcl/tk/blt on Mac hardware, yes different architectures that need to be handled. Are you currently building a universal binary?

Any thoughts about the symlinks under /usr/local. Several packages including Tcl/Tk use them on MacOS.

I'm not familiar with what the issue is here, are you talking about Swarm binaries that go into /usr/local, or binaries from other tools that Swarm needs to use?

Scott