RE: [Swftools-common] How to add audio to existing swf which has been cr

From: Kevin Minney
Subject: RE: [Swftools-common] How to add audio to existing swf which has been created with vnc2swf?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:35:50 -0700

Matthias,

thanks for your help, I will have to install Cygwin as I don't have this
installed at the moment. I checked the Cygwin website and it say that
the latest is 1.5.09, where do I get >= 1.5.10 from?

I will also have to install swftools as I will need to in order to have
access to swfdump. Is the install on a Linux bix straightforward? (I had
lots of problem installing ming0.2a-2, I gave up trying to get the
makefile version to install, in the end I found a rpm package that
worked for me). I am not a developer, just and end user and I find these
install processes very confusing/difficult.

I am concerned about the performance of vnc2swf when recording the
desktop on my laptop, so I will probably end up using the swfdump
approach and add audio later. But first I would like to give the live
audio streaming approach a try but I suspect my laptop is not going to
be fast enough to do everything.

Some notes on my performance concerns:

Equipment:

Laptop (W2000, PIII 800 mhz, 128M ram)
Linux box (IBM server, dual 2.4G Xeon, 4G ram). RH 7.2 with 2.4.19
kernel *
No monitor on my Linux box, I use my laptop to view and control the
linux box using VNC.

* I think this is a modified kernel which enables me to run processes up
to around 3.5G in size.

Setup 1:

vnc2swf running on my linux box. I connect to my W2000 laptop and record
it's desktop. When I move my mouse around the screen on my laptop the
movement is not smooth, sometimes the mouse movement freezes for a
fraction of a second giving a jerky movement.

Setup 2:
vnc2swf running on my linux box. Record a VNC server on the same Linux
box, run vnc2swf with the -nowindow option. (I use the -nowin option or
I get many vnc2swf record screens due to it going into some sort of
infinite loop, displaying on the same VNC screen which it is recording).

I will let you know how I get on,

regards,

Kevin