Re: [Swftools-common] Question regarding distribution

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Question regarding distribution
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:34:17 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:41:30PM -0700, John Nidelc <address@hidden> wrote:
> We have developed a windows based product which uses swftools pdf2swf
> to convert pdfs to swfs.

Are you calling pdf2swf via the command-line, i.e. as external
binary, or have you linked your application against pdf2swf?

> swftools is under GPL license. Can we
> distribute it to our customers as a part of our product. We are
> planning to charge a fee for our product for what we created around
> swftools and will be customizing swftools as well as a part of it.
>
> If needed, we can include swftools source code and customized code and
> also let customers who are buying that the product includes SWFTools
> product under GPL. Will it be ok then?

Yes, if you call pdf2swf only as external binary, and include the source
code and customized code, you're in sync with the GPL. That would be
o.k.

Just out of interest: What's the product doing?