Re: texi2html tests are huge

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: texi2html tests are huge
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:35:51 +0100

On 01/15/2012 10:10 PM, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:47:56AM +0100, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>> Hi Patrice.
>>
>> Note that this won't respect the user selection of the make program though.
>> For example, if a NetBSD user decides to use GNU make to build and check
>> Texinfo:
>>
>>   $ ./configure MAKE=gmake && gmake && gmake check
>>
>> your long_tests.sh script above won't respect his choice, and will probably
>> invoke the NetBSD make instead.
>
> In that case, the MAKE value (and maybe AM_MAKEFLAGS too?) could be passed
> in environment variables?

I think that could be made to work correctly, yes.  But it still feels hacky.

>>   RUN_EXPENSIVE_TESTS=yes make check
>
> I don't really like that, I prefer a make target,

You could still provide one if you find that convenient; for example, create
a 'check-all.am' file in the top level, containing:

  check-all:
        RUN_EXPENSIVE_TESTS=yes $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) check

and then include that fragment in all your Makefile.am files.  This time,
recursion should work seamlessly.

> but I guess Karl is should chose.
>
>> Also, sorry if I don't try to provide a patch, but:
>
> No problem.

Regards,
  Stefano