Re: makeinfo --version

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: makeinfo --version
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:16:54 +0100

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:03:56AM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Patrice.  I just discovered that gdb (and presumably gcc, binutils,
> all the redhat packages) check the makeinfo --version output and require
> it to be 4.7 or higher.
>
> I want to run "makeinfo" out of our dev sources, via:
>   perl -x -I $txi/tp $txi/tp/texi2any.pl "$@"
> (where $txi is my CVS checkout).  Isn't that the right way to do it?

It is both right and wrong.  It is right because with .pl the paths will
be set to use in-source perl modules.  And it is wrong because texi2any.pl
do not have the value from configure subsituted.

> With that, the result of makeinfo --version is
> texi2any (GNU texinfo) 0.01

Yep, when the configure value have not been substituted, the perl module
version is used...

> Can you get that to use the 4.13.90 from configure.ac?  (Automatically,
> hopefully.)

Not really, but maybe it could be possible to have a configured script
with in-source paths.  Would it be right for you?  In that case, there
would be something like

texi2any-configured.pl: texi2any.pl $(top_builddir)/config.status
        $(do_subst) $(srcdir)/$< >$@
        chmod a+x $@

And then you would either do a
 make texi2any-configured.pl
yourself, or it may be done with make all.  And then you would call

  perl -w -I $txi/tp $txi/tp/texi2any.pl "$@"

(I don't think there is a need for -x, it was with the texi2html
configured shebang).

Are you ok with that solution?  I haven't tested it, it is only theoretical,
I will be able to test in about one hour.

--
Pat