Re: makeinfo --version

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: makeinfo --version
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 00:06:55 +0100

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 02:37:04PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>     maybe it could be possible to have a configured script
>     with in-source paths.  Would it be right for you?
>
> It would be ok, but how about this: a cheap way to solve the problem
> would be to give all the modules a version number like "4.99.90",
> instead of 0.01.  We should make them be 5.0 on release anyway, I think,
> so I don't see any special reason for 0.01 now?

That won't really solve the problem, as it is not automatically set
from configure.  It could however be possible to set the VERSION from
configure through Makefile.am in Texinfo/Parser.pm.  However, I am still
unconvinced that it is correct to synchronize perl modules
versions and texinfo version, and in addition this forces to have something
like Texinfo/Parser.pm.in that becomes Texinfo/Parser.pm and I'd prefer
to avoid that if possible.

I also don't think that we should module versions be 5.0 on release, for
instance.

--
Pat