Re: makeinfo --version

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: makeinfo --version
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:47:21 -0800

Sigh.  I guess I wasn't clear.

    That won't really solve the problem, as it is not automatically set
    from configure.

I know.

    unconvinced that it is correct to synchronize perl modules versions
    and texinfo version,

Sure.  I remember that previous discussion.  I'm not arguing (here) that
that should be done.  (I see no harm in doing so, and in fact I think it
would minimize confusion, but it's a different issue.)

    and in addition this forces to have something like
    Texinfo/Parser.pm.in that becomes Texinfo/Parser.pm and I'd prefer
    to avoid that if possible.

I fully agree.  Already too much generation going on.

    I also don't think that we should module versions be 5.0 on release,

Yes, I remember that too.  I didn't really care then, but now the 0.01
is causing a practical problem.  Is there some reason I'm missing why
0.01 is actively *preferable* to 4.99/5.0?

My thought is simply to change
$VERSION = '0.01';
$VERSION = '4.99';
in *.pm.  Or 5.0 if you prefer, whatever.

This eliminates the (very real) problem with redhat configure, while not
requiring Yet Another generated version of texi2any.  It's just a
number, so Why not choose a number that eliminates the hassle?

Thanks,
karl