Re: 3 Requests

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: 3 Requests
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 08:19:52 +0100

On 27 July 2017 at 00:08, Randall Sawyer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Request 1) Config file syntax specifiaction.
> The app 'makeinfo' defines a path and then searches it for a file named
> 'Config' which contains options and variables. In reading the texinfo
> documentation, I have not found a description of the expected format of said
> file(s). Could this lack please be met?

It is not documented. I believe this refers to the possibility for
HTML customization. Why do you want it to be documented?

> Request 2) Standardize naming conventions of variables.
> My efforts to read and comprehend the contents of the various perl packages
> employed by 'makeinfo' and friends is daunting. A clear indicator of what
> was to come in my learning curve is in "20.6.2 Customization Variables and
> Options". Why are the variables a mishmash of uppercase, lowercase,
> delimited-words and non-delimited-words? I realize that if this situation
> were to be remedied, then there would need to be means to handle
> backwards-compatibility.

There is no need to change the name of all the variables. I don't know
why they are named inconsistently. Perhaps because there is no pattern
to their functionality either.

> Request 3) Generic Texinfo::Structure object
> Other than the debugging option - which I would prefer employ YAML::Dump
> rather that Dumper - there is no handy way to convert the contents of a
> texino file into a generic perl object. That is something I would like
> indeed. At some point, I am willing - though currently not able - to upgrade
> this request to an offer.

I don't know what you mean by a "generic perl object", but the
Parser.pm file creates a perl object that the output converters use.