Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.6

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.6
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 00:37:56 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 4 May 2002, David Allouche wrote:

> I just released TeXmacs-1.0.0.1-nogencc-0.6. It can be downloaded from:
> http://ddaa10.free.fr/texmacs/patch/1.0.0.1

I retried a compilation. This time I have hundreds of messages of the form

        In file included from Basic/Data/upgradetm.hh:14,
                         from ./Basic/Data/upgradetm.cc:13:
        Basic/Types/path.hh:66:24: warning: no newline at end of file
        Basic/Types/path.hh:66:24: warning: no newline at end of file

You probably did not remove the Emacs comments in the right way
at the end of the files.

I also noticed that you use the flags

        -O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
        -malign-functions=2

now. You might even use the following flags:

        -O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
        -malign-functions=2 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fno-implicit-templates

I am not sure about -fno-implicit-templates though.

Compilation remains extremely slow; I have the impression
that compiling one single file is about thrice as fast as
compiling one aggregate in the official distribution
(whence an overall slowdown by a factor between two and three :^( ).
Certain particular files, like Typeset/Env/env_exec.cc are terrible...
On the other hand, separate compilation also has advantages, of course.

Compilation now works until the end :^)
The size of the binary seems to be OK; you should be able to gain a bit by
using the flags from above. Speed seems to be normal at a first sight
and following one of my benchmarks, but I will do some more precise tests
when I have time. Please use the above compilation flags for the next version.

Also, it is important to allow static compilation: for the official
TeXmacs binary distributions, I prefer static binaries, which are only
slightly larger in size and much more stable from the user point of view.
Standard distributions which support TeXmacs (like Debian and
Mandrake Cooker) build their own dynamic versions anyway.

Thanks for your work and I am looking forward to a version
which compiles twice or thrice as fast,

Joris