Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.6

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.6
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 15:38:25 +0200

On Monday 06 May 2002 11:34, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> Why is C++ without automatic templates a pain? It would be nice
> to compare code size and efficiency before taking a decision.

When you have automatic templates disabled, you must somehow implement a
way to specify explicit instanciations.

There are essentially two ways to do that:

Either by hand, specifying instanciation as the linker complains for
undefined symbols. That lead to equivalent code generation as with
automatic templates. In that approach one would allow automatic templates
in the compilation units that defines automatic instanciations. It is a
pain to define the first time, and then it will only accumulate cruft,
because no one will ever want to clean it up.

Or semi-automatically. Here the trick would be to define macros which do
explicit instanciations for a given set of extern (that is, not inline)
class and method templates. That macro would be used in a way similar to
the parameterized code_* modules. That approach is the closest possible
to what did gencc, but it has has no advantage over a automatic template
instanciation which is smart enoungh to avoid duplicate code generation.
Actually, it will generate more code, thus slowing down the compilation
and possibly leading to bigger binaries.

As you see, no solution is simple to implement, and even if I think that
the automatic template instanciation system of g++ is a pain, it is good
enough not to use explicit instanciation.

> I am not responsable for your initiative to remove gencc.
[snip]
> I decided to do you a pleasure with removing gencc,
> which takes me a lot of time and which was not a priority.
> In your turn you should do me a pleasure and allow me
> to adopt the changes in a smooth and rigourous way.

Ok, ok... I'll stop complaining.

That is getting on our nerves and wastes our time.

> OK, I will install 2.95.3 and see whether the problems persist.
> But maybe 2.95.4 is better?

I did not found 2.95.4 on the GNU website either. It looks like a Debian
specific prerelease.

> Keep on the good work, keep calm, don't get angry and
> smoke a sigaret at each time that you want to kill me
> (when I am not there in preference).

Well basically, I think that I should get more in a "you boss, I worker"
state of mind. I could probably have a boss who pays more, but he may
also be more obnoxious.
--

                                  -- David --