[Texmacs-dev] Reorganization of the menubar

From: David Allouche
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Reorganization of the menubar
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:39:14 +0200

I do not like the new names of some of the top menus. I think I have
to say it now befor it is cast in stone.

I find the "Go" and "See" menu titles are too short to be really
descriptive.

Considering how difficult it was to find a name for the "Go" menu,
its arguable relevance in a web browser metaphor (esp. with the online
help) and its expected future evolution with Back, Forward, etc. items,
I will go with it.

However, I think the "See" menu is wrong. If you examine web browsers
(I checked Galeon and Konqueror) you will see they does have an
equivalent menu, but it is called "View" (which I find much more
intuitive). Additionnaly, that menu is placed after the "File" and
"Edit" menus and before the "Go" menu. I also noticed I intuitively
look for that menu more at the beginning of the menubar.

So, I propose to rename the "See" menu to "View" and change the order
of the first menubar items to "File", "Edit", "View", "Go". That will
provide a look and feel more consistent with other applications.

You may argue that "Go" menu is used often, an so it must be placed at
the beginning of the menubar. I am not sure that is a valid argument
since in many applcations the most often menus are around the middle
of the menu bar (nearer to the cursor on the average). Moreover, the
real fix would be to provide keyboard shortcuts to switch buffers.

Additionnally, I think the menubar items spacing should be increased
by about 25 or 50%. I find it difficult to make out the different
items since anti-aliasing tend to make the typographic grey of the
menubar more uniform.

--

                                  -- David --