Re: [Texmacs-dev] Spell checking

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Spell checking
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 15:51:28 +0200

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:20:45PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> > > What would you think is the correct way to locate the dictionnary?
>
> That is the real question.
>
> > Maybe a setting in preferences with the default as you have it
>
> This can indeed be done, but we really should not rely on it:
> a random user expects spell checking just to work if ispell or
> aspell is installed, so we should do our ultimate best to
> make TeXmacs detect the right location.
>
> So if a dictionary is installed but not found by TeXmacs,
> then please send me a report with the missing location.

In the "let the packager do it" philosophy, I think we should not try
too hard.

Just look in a few standard places (/usr/lib/ispell,
/usr/local/lib/ispell, /opt/lib/ispell), provide a compile-time option
to let the packager set it to the correct default for the system and
use an environment variable for corner cases.

The real problem is more that the name mappings may be system
dependant... maybe there should be a specific mapping file to do this.
Maybe the ispell developper have some insight on how to it correctly.

Generally, I think texmacs should not "try hard" to guess the system
settings, that makes it less predictable and it will never be enough
(unless there is a specific right way to do it).

--
                                                            -- ddaa