Re: [Texmacs-dev] [TeXmacs] Compiling under Mac OsX

From: Martin Costabel
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [TeXmacs] Compiling under Mac OsX
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 09:56:12 +0100

Murali Agastya wrote:
Hi,

Martin Costabel may be the person with an answer to this question.

Except when he is offline as I was for a week (conference).

Does one have to make complicated changes to the sources
made available as TeXmacs-1.0.2.x-src.tar.gz so that they can compile under OsX (10.2.x)?

In principle, no (as Radio Erevan used to say). Almost all patches necessary for MacOSX have been incorporated into the main TeXmacs sources in the past. This is the reason why there is no texmacs.patch file for recent versions of texmacs in fink. The few remaining patches are done from inside the texmacs.info file. But this does, of course, not mean that new versions will be guaranteed to compile without new patches. Quite often, little tweaks have been necessary.

I have successfully compiled the most recent package provided by the fink
(which is TeXmacs-1.0.2.4-1), but would like the ability to try out the
most recent versions as they appear on the TeXmacs site.

In general, I have updated the fink texmacs package descriptions rather quickly after new versions came out. Exceptions are when I am absent (as this past week), or when there are non-trivial problems with the new version of TeXmacs or with the new version of MacOS. I have not yet had the opportunity to try to compile texmacs under OSX 10.3.

What you can always do when a new version appears is the following (this basically is what I am doing, too):

1. Copy the latest texmacs.info and texmacs.patch files to your /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo directory. 2. Edit the texmacs.info file so that the "Version:" line corresponds to the new version number. Set the "Revision:" to something like "0". You will also have to change the "Source-MD5:" line or simply ignore the error message related to a wrong md5 checksum. 3. Run "fink update texmacs" and watch what happens. If you are lucky, the package gets built and installed.
4. Tell me about it.

--
Martin