Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available

From: Andreas Seidl
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:53:09 +0100 (CET)

> Are TeXmacs-1.0.2-1.tar.bz2 and TeXmacs-1.0.2.10-1.tar.bz2 binary packages?

Yes. But note, that the src packages are not simply the ones from
texmacs.org. They consistst of a renamed original package, a patch file
and a shell script, which can be used to build the binary package. See
http://cygwin.com/setup.html for more details...

It is Cygwin policy, to have not only a binary package, but this kind of
source package available as well, although most users won't bother
selecting and downloading it.

> As soon as I got a positive report from someone else, we should
> incorporate your enhancements in the TeXmacs distribution (that is:
> the setup file).

At the moment, I see no reason to include files to the distribution, as
they would be replaced for packaging by newer files. And adding them as a
patch is (1) easier for me than updating them beforehand via cvs and (2)
consistent with what I do with other packages (there is only one so far).

> Also, we should notify the Cygwin developers of
> the existence of this package and ask them whether they want to
> make it part of Cygwin. If not, then we can give you ftp write
> access to texmacs.org and distribute the binaries from there.

The way to do it is to to post to the cygwin-apps mailing list. I'm
already subscribed there, and know how to do it. Then at least three
people have to vote in favour of the packet. At the moment, due to pending
chrismas and holidays, the people there seem to have not much time to do
stuff, and I will have only sporadically a good internet connection
between 20.12 and 14.01.

Before I post to the list, I'd like to do some further testing, like
installing it from scratch on a fresh machine, and with other windows
versions. Furthermore, reports of other users would be welcome!

So I would post at the end of this month, to have a fair chance to get the
package accepted within January.

Andreas.
--
http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~seidl