Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:59:43 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 06:45:27PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Andreas Seidl wrote:
> > At the moment, I see no reason to include files to the distribution, as
> > they would be replaced for packaging by newer files. And adding them as a
> > patch is (1) easier for me than updating them beforehand via cvs and (2)
> > consistent with what I do with other packages (there is only one so far).
>
> Yes, but this will oblige you to change several things for every
> new version. Instead, we could proceed in a similar way as for rpms and
> let the configure script automatically construct the appropriate
> setup files. Another advantage is that the setup files become public,
> so other people may learn from them, or help with the maintainance.

I agree with Joris on that point. All packaging magic should be inside
the distribution, it is a good thing not only because it allows other
people to learn and contribute, but also because it makes it easier to
build custom packages from development versions. BTW, this also holds
for debian, it would be nice if the ./debian/ directory were included in
the distribution.

About preferring to maintain a separate patch than a development branch
of its own... that is an artefact of using CVS, because it is basically
useless for maintaning parallel development branches, some other modern
version control system (people who have been reading my rants here know
what I mean) does not have this kind of shortcomings. I have read
feedback from some Debian developpers which cannot remember how they
could live before. But if you are happy with the current process, it's
what is most important.

--
                                                            -- ddaa