Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:29:19 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, David Allouche wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 05:12:01PM +0000, Offray Vladimir Luna C?rdenas wrote:
> > El mar, 16-12-2003 a las 18:59, David Allouche escribi?:
> > > I agree with Joris on that point. All packaging magic should be inside
> > > the distribution, it is a good thing not only because it allows other
> > > people to learn and contribute, but also because it makes it easier to
> > > build custom packages from development versions. BTW, this also holds
> > > for debian, it would be nice if the ./debian/ directory were included in
> > > the distribution.
> >
> > Do you think that this would allow the posibility to build the deb
> > package from CVS (arch, etc) using apt-build (in a similar fashion to
> > gentoo)?
>
> As far as I know, apt-build works from source .deb packages fetched
> through the apt system. That means that what you suggest would require
> the upstream maintainer to provide a simplistic apt source on
> texmacs.org which would contain those source packages.
>
> Insofar that is automatable and a knowledgeable person is willing to
> prepare the scripts and help for the maintenance, I believe the
> maintainer (running RedHat) would be willing to add this to the release
> procedure. But I do not have the required knowledge and I am not the
> maintainer.

I think that Ralf has ftp access to texmacs.org now,
so he can make distributions available from there and
that is what should happen soon. I am perfectly fine with
having directories "debian", "cygwin", etc. at texmacs.org
for this purpose.

I do not know whether it would be possible to build packages
directly from the CVS code though. This certainly is possible
for the RPMs. It suffices to put the tarball (with the usual name)
in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
and run in this latter directory, run

        rpm -ba TeXmacs.spec

In any case, I agree that we might put the debian related files
in the main distribution too (assuming that they are reasonably small,
which they should be). A similar thing holds for gentoo.