Re: [Texmacs-dev] 1.0.3-2 release

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] 1.0.3-2 release
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:17:57 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, David Allouche wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:26:04PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > 709: Agree that this would be cleaner,
> >      but has this bothered anyone so far?
>
> I wrote this patch in reply to some post (Treinen?) reporting
> compilation warnings on Alpha.
>
> Conversely, why keep using dirty code when a clean fix is available?
> Note that some projects have policy to compile with -Werror (or
> something like that) to turn warnings into errors.

Is -Werror supported everywhere. In that case, I agree to use that option.

But I don't understand why to use your complicated routine
for hashing pointers. Why is casting to an integer not enough?
Is it not possible to cast integers to pointers on some systems?
If not, how can we safely cast by forgetting about the uppermost bits?
In any case, I prefer a really fast hash function. If pointers have
a double size of int than we may also first cast to long long int and
then to int.

> > 848: Page size computations have to be rewritten once.
>
> Beg your pardon? This patch is about improving the File menu, and moving
> some items out from the Viem menu. You said "Perturbates me; postponed;
> will be rediscussed later." Page size computations have nothing to do
> with that.

That was the previous or next one then.
In any case, I don't deel like changing this now.

> > 863: Seems not worth the effort now.
>
> BTW, what is the precise semantic for "func?"?

Will come later this year.

> Action=None, Status=Closed.
>
> > 868: Not really useful for reasons pointed out before.
> >      Idea is valid, but needs a lot more work...
>
> Action=Update, AssignedTo=ddaa
>
> I'll be trying to fix up something in my branch. Anyway, Proclus will
> probably require some significant changes in the way the contextual menu
> is supported.

For the moment, you may just create a proclus contextual menu and
we will add a condition. Later this year, I will have a better scheme.