Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Getting rid of Scheme?

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Getting rid of Scheme?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:41:42 +0200 (CEST)

> While plugins are developed rapidly for any known mathematical
> programm, some core features of the editor are not implemented,
> eg. navigation through headlines or environments.

We have started this, but it will still take one or two years
(our priority is to make TeXmacs more open and modular so that
more people can easily contribute).

After typing C-s inside a section title or a theorem,
try pressing C-right and C-left.

> Speed is an other issue. You need a really fast computer to work with
> TeXmacs. I give up to work on a document with more than 100 pages,
> because including does not really work. You cannot set styles in the
> master document, because they do not inherit to the included
> documents. If you have 20 included documents, you must alter 20
> documents. And I have one document, where the same changes I made in
> the other 19 will not apply.

Yes, but multi-file editing should be improved in the second half
of this year or so (we are starting an interactive book project for
which this is necessary within one year from now).

> I would not write this stuff, when I dislike TeXmacs. I like the idea
> and the typesetting quality. But I cannot use it. Maybe the community
> is yet too small, so that important improvements cannot be
> implemented. And maybe one reason, that there are not more developers,
> is the programming language.
>
> I am sad, that I cannot provide a solution. I can just describe my
> problems. How can we attract more developers to the TeXmacs-project?

As I said, that is the main priority right now. The strategy is robust
and clean interfaces and good documentation, but all this takes time.
So far, we made it simpler to write plug-ins, converters and style files.
Next on the list is a robust Scheme interface to the TeXmacs internals and
finally the rewriters project. We also have to deal with several other
stupid issues like Unicode, fonts, ...