RE: [Texmacs-dev] Getting rid of Scheme?

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: RE: [Texmacs-dev] Getting rid of Scheme?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:40:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Boris Tschirschwitz wrote:
> If it seems really neccessary to speed up the scriping part of texmacs,

I agree. We think about using MzScheme instead of Guile for a while,
but someone would have to do the porting.

> take a look at ECL, an embeddable common lisp.
>
> * It's compiled.
> * It should be easier to translate scheme to cl than anything else
> * It's NOT pathetic, just as well as scheme is NOT pathetic
>
> page: http://ecls.sourceforge.net

Thanks for the pointer. I also think that Lisp would be fine too.
Anyway, it would be easy to simulate Scheme from within Lisp.
What we really should do is make the scripting part implementation
independent, so that we can easily switch from one Scheme
implementation to another one (or to a Lisp implementation).
Unfortunately, I do not have time this year for such a project,
so it would rely on help from volunteers. For someone else than me,
it would probably require between one and two months of work.