[Texmacs-dev] Re: Fixes for Solaris 9, and suggested change for Type 1 f

From: Kostas Oikonomou
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Fixes for Solaris 9, and suggested change for Type 1 fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:57:39 -0400

Hi Joris,

I cannot really apply the SUN-OS related fixes, since you do not say what
I have to modify in the source code.

I thought the fix to src/System/Classes/timer.hpp was clear: just comment out
the code
I indicated, which is at line 26.

Point 3 should not work, because OS_SUN is not defined inside the plug-ins.

Hmm, you'r right. The fix allows the shell plug-in to compile, but the prompt
isn't set to
"tmshell". That should not be hard to fix, I imagine.

Is that so? Where? I could not find them when writing the FreeType interface.

First of all, about the CM fonts.  There are lots of those in tetex 3.0,
notably the bluesky
collection.  Additionaly, in using TeXmacs, I found that many "special" CM
fonts that
don't exist in bluesky or other collections can be generated very simply either
from
Metafont sources, or from the pk variants by using FontForge.
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/fontforge/)
It only takes a minute to make a .pfb file.

I don't have much experience with the EC fonts, but this is an excerpt from the
tetex 3.0
User's Manual, section 2.9:
    The EC fonts are not included in type 1 format in teTEX. If you have a
LaTEX docu-
ment that uses EC fonts, you have at least two ways to get around this problem.
The
first is to stop using EC fonts--which can in most cases be done by switching
to the
Latin Modern fonts. Usually, the EC fonts are activated by
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
or \usepackage{t1enc} and you just have to add \usepackage{lmodern}. The second
is to use the CM-SUPER Type 1 fonts, not included in teTEX, but available on
CTAN
servers in the directory fonts/ps-type1/cm-super. This package is pretty huge,
but it
contains all EC fonts in outline format and much more.

Regards,

                Kostas