Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Fixes for Solaris 9, and suggested change for Type

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Fixes for Solaris 9, and suggested change for Type 1 fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:13:26 +0200

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 09:57:39AM -0400, Kostas Oikonomou wrote:
> >I cannot really apply the SUN-OS related fixes, since you do not say what
> >I have to modify in the source code.
>
> I thought the fix to src/System/Classes/timer.hpp was clear: just comment
> out the code I indicated, which is at line 26.

Yes, but this will break the code on older machines.

> >Point 3 should not work, because OS_SUN is not defined inside the plug-ins.
>
> Hmm, you'r right. The fix allows the shell plug-in to compile, but the
> prompt isn't set to "tmshell". That should not be hard to fix, I imagine.

I need to know the right #ifdef to use for testing whether we are on Solaris.

> >Is that so? Where? I could not find them when writing the FreeType
> >interface.
>
> First of all, about the CM fonts.  There are lots of those in tetex 3.0,
> notably the bluesky collection.  Additionaly, in using TeXmacs,
> I found that many "special" CM  fonts that don't exist in bluesky or
> other collections can be generated very simply either from Metafont sources,
> or from the pk variants by using FontForge.
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fontforge/)
> It only takes a minute to make a .pfb file.

This sounds like a latex solution and a waste of my time.

> I don't have much experience with the EC fonts, but this is an excerpt from
> the tetex 3.0 User's Manual, section 2.9:
>     The EC fonts are not included in type 1 format in teTEX. If you have a
>     LaTEX docu-
> ment that uses EC fonts, you have at least two ways to get around this
> problem. The
> first is to stop using EC fonts--which can in most cases be done by
> switching to the
> Latin Modern fonts. Usually, the EC fonts are activated by
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> or \usepackage{t1enc} and you just have to add \usepackage{lmodern}. The
> second is to use the CM-SUPER Type 1 fonts, not included in teTEX,
> but available on CTAN servers in the directory fonts/ps-type1/cm-super.
> This package is pretty huge, but it
> contains all EC fonts in outline format and much more.

OK, I'll look at CTAN and see whether I can find them.
There seems to be a problem on the net right now.

Thanks, Joris