Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Fixes for Solaris 9, and suggested change for Type

From: Kostas Oikonomou
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Fixes for Solaris 9, and suggested change for Type 1 fonts
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:09:51 -0400

Yes, but this will break the code on older machines.
I need to know the right #ifdef to use for testing whether we are on Solaris.

I'm not sure what that would be. It seems to me that the configure script
should determine
the OS type, by "uname -sr", and then set CONFIG_OS_SUFFIX.  configure already
does
something along these lines, but I don't understand it enough to suggest a
complete solution.

First of all, about the CM fonts.  There are lots of those in tetex 3.0,notably
the bluesky collection.  Additionaly, in using TeXmacs,
I found that many "special" CM  fonts that don't exist in bluesky or
other collections can be generated very simply either from Metafont sources,
or from the pk variants by using FontForge.
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/fontforge/)
It only takes a minute to make a .pfb file.

This sounds like a latex solution and a waste of my time.

I don't know what you mean by a "latex solution".  And I wasn't suggesting any
general
procedure at all.  I'm simply saying that *if* one wants to use TeXmacs with
Type 1 CM fonts
(like I do), then, if one encounters a situation where a particular font is not
available in .pfb
form, it can be easily created by FontForge from the .pk version or the MF
source.
This situtation arises, for example, when viewing the help files which seem to use a lot
of "unusual"
fonts.

So, again speaking as an individual user, by following this procedure, I've
created for myself
a small set of Type 1 CM fonts, in addition to the "standard" bluesky ones,
that let me use
TeXmacs with no reliance on pk fonts.

Regards,

                Kostas