Re: [Texmacs-dev] drawing mode

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] drawing mode
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:06:48 -0800

Couldn't you do this with XFig or Dia sessions? Graphviz?

Amir Michail wrote:

Hi,

I think it would be neat if the drawing mode understood many sorts of
diagrams that one finds in CS and math papers.

For example, it might have built in support for drawing abstract
trees, where you have triangles representing sections of the tree
where the details are not important.

More generally, one could also have the drawing editor understand many
kinds of concrete and abstract graphs to allow the user to more easily
create them for illustrative purposes.

I think what's needed here is something different from an automatic
graph layout algorithm, particularly for abstract graphs.  The user
should have more control over layout, but at the same time, the
drawing should not be too hard to construct.

So I guess something that understands typical CS/math domain
concrete/abstract diagrams along with a constrained-based drawing
system might work out well.

Amir