Re: [Texmacs-dev] drawing mode

From: Amir Michail
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] drawing mode
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 15:36:33 +1100

On 12/25/05, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <address@hidden> wrote:
> Couldn't you do this with XFig or Dia sessions? Graphviz?

Yes, but it would take more effort than a drawing mode that was
optimized for cs/math diagrams.

TeXmacs has elaborate algorithms to typeset text using accepted
conventions in technical fields. So why not also have elaborate
algorithms to typeset diagrams, again using accepted conventions for
technical fields?

One could for example go through an algorithms book and think about
how to reduce the effort required to recreate all the diagrams in the
book. What is the essence of each diagram? How would one create a
drawing mode that allows users to just focus on the essence of the
diagram and leave uninteresting details for the system to figure out?

Amir