Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:00:34 +0200

On 05/22/2007 10:24 AM, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:40:00PM +0200, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
I just installed TeXmacs (version 1.0.6 on kubuntu), but I also have trouble getting it to work with axiom. Additionally,
it seems extremely slow, but maybe that's due to my laptop
showing its age.
Probably both. Even on a reasonably fast dual processor
AMD 4300+ X2, I find TeXmacs rather slow compared to most
other apps.

This is rubbish

Jorris, I don't know whether this is true, but I have the impression that many people complain about slowness of TeXmacs.

So let's assume there are many people that turn their back to TeXmacs, because they just think it is slow. If somebody really considers to use TeXmacs, I would not say that s/he is one of the most stupid people in the world. So if you don't believe what such people say then you lose a lot of people who actually find TeXmacs attracting, but don't want to use it because they feel it is slow. Yes, I really said "feel". That does not necessarily mean that TeXmacs is in fact slow, it just means that those people "feel" slowness in TeXmacs response compared to editors like vim or emacs. Sure TeXmacs does more in terms of nice output (which costs time) and less in terms of functionality (no support for programming), but it is a psychological effect. Take me, for example, one day I tried the mozilla mailer and found it rather slow compared to my previous one. Well, I later found out that all this unresponsiveness was caused because the spell checker was switched on and too much time for my taste.

and only the case if you use TeXmacs in particular ways,
i.e. over a network,

Do you think the ordinary user does this? Everyone would expect a delay in such a case.

> when compiling without optimizations,

Hopefully not an issue if I use a debian package.

when putting large pieces of the document in certain markup like tables,
or having a document of several hundreds of pages.

Oh, I probably would like a document, that is like a master file with hundreds of include files. I all want to see them as *one* (hyperlinked) document. If you now say that TeXmacs will be slow in this case, I know where I have to stop.

Remember for me it is not important that the 1000+ pages are always what I see when I print it. In fact, I probably will never print them. It is more important to have the hyperlinks (approximately) correct and the screen output reasonably nice. So a button to re-beautify would be totally fine for me.

I know, I enter an area here (literate programming) for which TeXmacs was probably not designed, but I wanted to see whether it would be reasonable to consider TeXmacs. Speed *is* an issue for almost any programmer.

Oh that is a big issue. I haven't yet used TeXmacs again extensively, but this slowness in keyboard response was one of the reasons I turned away about one or two years ago.

Examples, timings?

How do you expect me to messure the timing between pressing a key and seeing on screen until nothing moves anymore? Of course, I understand that you want to see timings, but I don't know how to give them. Otherwise I would probably have sent a message two years ago.

But now I should stop and actually test TeXmacs, maybe things have change (like me having a faster laptop ;-) )

Hi, TeXmacs developers, is there a trick to delay expensive computations until I press a button "re-beautify"?

Rendering is already done in that way.

Could you detail a bit? Or where do I find a description of how the delay process works. Please don't let me read code, I will probably not understand the essence.

BTW, is there an SVN archive of TeXmacs?

Ralf