Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX

From: Abdelrazak Younes
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:43:03 +0200

Henri Lesourd wrote:
Josef Weidendorfer wrote:

But IMHO there is no problem to include a compiler check when loading
a plugin...

You need to be able to capture this information in
the makefile. This is not infeasible, but still it's
one more thing to do.

No, I think you can probe the ABI of the dll at runtime. This is not a compilation issue.

The problem is not to distribute binary versions: it
is that the users should be able to donwnload and compile
the source code of a plugin *only*, and then be able to
load the object file inside a binary-installed TeXmacs
such as an RPM-installed one for example.

I don't expect any problem in this case.

But the compilers also have to agree on parameter passing convention, object file layout (ELF/PE/COFF), 32 vs. 64bit architecture and so on. The latter dependencies
are also true for C functions.
As far as I know, e.g. under Windows, you can compile
a DLL with *ANY* compiler, and it is always supposed
to be loadeable an callable without any problems.

I don't think this is as easy as that, see below.

That's the difference with this whole ABI stuff...

There are definitely more issues, for as I said,
you never have this problem when mixing code from
different C DLLs from different compilers, at least
under Windows (or am I wrong on this count ?).

Yes, you are partly wrong: The C ABI has changed between MSVC 6 and 7. Mingw still uses the old ABI AFAIK.

Abdel.