[Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs / QT blockers

From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs / QT blockers
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:08:12 +0200

Dear list,

I have been working with TeXmacs/QT (1.0.7.2, not latest svn) for a
few days and the overall impression is very good. However, there are
three main issues on my system* which in my view are particularly
relevant:

- it is much slower than xlib TeXmacs. The delay is already noticeable
when positioning the cursor successively at different places within a
short document in papyrus mode, not to speak of typing.

- as has been previously reported, the process is not killed on exit.
This can lead to a wrong impression on TeXmacs, since during a session
many TeXmacs processes remain open and affect system performance. The
effect is also very noticeable on battery power.

- there is a continous readjustment of the document canvas when typing
documents that do not fill the screen

I was curious if this performance difference was due to my compiling
in debug mode. I just checked and it isn't, but without --enable-debug
the process is no longer alive after exit.

Best regards,

Álvaro.

PS. I'll try to remember to check performance on Windows.

* 64 bit Ubuntu 9.04
Linux x 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux

libqt4-dev
Version: 4.5.0-0ubuntu4