Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs / QT blockers

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs / QT blockers
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 18:14:44 +0100

Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:
Dear list,

I have been working with TeXmacs/QT (1.0.7.2, not latest svn) for a
few days and the overall impression is very good. However, there are
three main issues on my system* which in my view are particularly
relevant:

- it is much slower than xlib TeXmacs. The delay is already noticeable
when positioning the cursor successively at different places within a
short document in papyrus mode, not to speak of typing.
I was curious if this performance difference was due to my compiling
in debug mode. I just checked and it isn't, but without --enable-debug
the process is no longer alive after exit.

My experience is that debug mode makes a huge difference in performance. Have you made sure that all object files (src/Object/*.o) were deleted before recompiling without debug mode? The make mechanism will use the existing *.o files even if the compiler flags were changed.

- as has been previously reported, the process is not killed on exit.
This can lead to a wrong impression on TeXmacs, since during a session
many TeXmacs processes remain open and affect system performance. The
effect is also very noticeable on battery power.
The problem should be solved in SVN.

- there is a continous readjustment of the document canvas when typing
documents that do not fill the screen
Indeed, I have noticed that as well. Haven't looked into it yet.

Greetings,
Norbert

PS: I have a completely reworked event-loop for Qt-TeXmacs finished and running. It solves a number of problems. I'll submit it as soon as I am confident that it fixes more bugs than it creates...