[Texmacs-dev] mime type

From: Andrea Gamba
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] mime type
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 12:38:04 +0200

Dear Joris,

I have checked that the mime-type patch applied to the .deb package

http://www.nabble.com/Patches%3A-copy-paste-and-selection-handling.-td21634429i20.html#a23108890

works in Ubuntu 9.04. Now the texmacs package has an icon for texmacs documents, files created by texmacs are recognized and shown on the desktop with that icon, and they are correctly opened with texmacs when clicking on them.

Even if everything appears to be working as it should, I have noticed a slight incoherence: the mime type for a texmacs file is *text/texmacs* in /etc/mime.types and texmacs.xml

http://wiki.debian.org/MIME/etc/mime.types

but it is *text/x-texmacs* in texmacs.desktop:

address@hidden:~$ cat /etc/mime.types | grep texmacs
text/texmacs                    tm ts
address@hidden:~$ cat /usr/share/applications/texmacs.desktop | grep texmacs
MimeType=text/x-texmacs;text/plain;text/x-tex;
Exec=texmacs %f
address@hidden:~$ cat /usr/share/mime/packages/texmacs.xml | grep texmacs
<mime-type type="text/texmacs">

Can you tell which is the correct label for texmacs files? I guess all the three files should contain one and the same definition.

The file /etc/mime.types comes from the package mime-support, which appears in Debian-derived distributions:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/mime-support
http://packages.ubuntu.com/it/jaunty/mime-support

and contains already (i.e., before texmacs installation) a line with text/texmacs.

So possibly it is texmacs.desktop that should be changed to contain /text/texmacs instead of /text/x-texmacs. Or it could contain both.

Andrea

 the shell commands

 update-*mime*-database /usr/share/*mime*
 update-desktop-database
 gtk-update-icon-cache --force /usr/share/icons/gnome

 should be taken care of by the post-installation script in the .deb
 package: