[Texmacs-dev] continuations

From: Gubinelli Massimiliano
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] continuations
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:00:39 +0100

Dear Joris,
 I just realized that the allowing the scheme code to use continuations puts
some restrictions on the coding style in the C++ side. Each time  we call a
scheme closure we are not sure to come back (maybe the closure invoke a
continuation and we jump in a another stack status and in a different point of
the program). Thus if we are modifiyng internal structures of the program we
must be sure that they are in the correct state at each of these "cut" points.
I didn't realized this before. I wonder if you take care of this in the texmacs
code when you invoke scheme command (essentially in interactive input stuff). I
like very much the idea of having continuations availables in the scheme part.
On the other side I have a very nasty bug which is probably generated by the
bad interaction of the continuation jumps with the state of Qt/Cocoa internal
structures. The bug does not happen in Linux or Windows. I do not know if it
happens with Carbon. I still do not have found a way to circumvent it by
modifying the Qt plugin code.
I'm trying to fix parts of my code where I didn't take into account the
possibility of longjmps generated by scheme continuations. But I do not think
this particular bug is due to a problem in my code. Seems more an
incompatibility of the Qt framework with this programming style. I have to
investigate further.

The bug I'm referring to is the following: open a new buffer and another one,
modify the second  and try to close it. After confirming at the footer prompt
you get a EXC_BAD_ACCESS exception in the Qt/Cocoa internals.

best
max

ps: I post to the list to allow other people partecipate to the discussion if
the want.