Re: [Texmacs-dev] Dressing a list of working plug-ins and add documentat

From: Philippe Joyez
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Dressing a list of working plug-ins and add documentation
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:01:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Joris,

A few month ago Andrey Grozin expressed doubts about the Mathematica plugin
since a lot of things have changed in Mathematica since he wrote the plugin.

Well, I am pleased to say that Andrey's plugin still offers pretty good
functionality with recent Mathematica versions (v6 & 7). I haven't tested
the latest (v8), but I believe it should also work.

One key point is that newer versions do not use Postscript for the graphics
output anymore. However they come with a backward compatibility package that
allows to revert to the old postscript graphics system (one just needs to
evaluate <<Version5/Graphics.m, and it should perhaps be done automatically
upon starting the session in Texmacs).

There are some issues, though.

For instance the one-time script that automatically finds the mathlink
libraries and compiles the tm_mathematica.bin is outdated and fails. I've
posted a howto in the users list to explain how to compile manually.
Rewriting an up-to-date script working for all versions/OSes (and
maintaining it) would be a lot of work.

Another thing that is annoying is that it is not possible anymore to have a
straight single back quote (`) correctly sent to mathematica (This was
previously working but changed sometime around the end of 2010 and haven't
yet figured how to correct for it). Texmacs default is to convert it to
single curly back quote that mathematica doesn't like. If you paste verbatim
the straight back quote in your input it looks like nothing at all is sent
to Mathematica (you get a "busy..." box together with a new input line with
the same input number; see last lines of attached file). I've tried to
define kbd-map in init-mathematica.scm, but it does not change the behavior.

Final word: my testing was very superficial. People may run into serious
problems I have not identified.