Re: [Texmacs-dev] Qt6 branch

From: TeXmacs
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Qt6 branch
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 11:49:14 +0200

Hi Max,

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 01:32:00AM +0200, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
> I think we need to target Qt6 right away and remove all the legacy code and
> hacks we accumulated to go around the various bugs in Qt4.*. There will be
> other bugs maybe but Qt has already shifted their focus to Qt6 and if we
> target Qt5 I'm worried that in a couple of years we will be in the same
> situation as now wrt. Qt4.

Yes, we could directly move to Qt6.  Denis would need to
adapt our SDKs first and do testing under Windows too.

> If I understand correclty the intentions of Joris we would support Qt4 for
> TeXmacs 2.1 for a while, until we have a new stable version with Qt5/6 and
> with some code restructuring I'm planning to do on the Qt code. Also we can
> address the problem with Scheme there.

The idea is to move to a newer version only after all new bugs are fixed.

> Btw, I made a small experiment with different icons, more similar to those
> present in some Mac apps.
>
> http://forum.texmacs.cn/t/an-experiment-with-ui-icons/505
> <http://forum.texmacs.cn/t/an-experiment-with-ui-icons/505>

It is interesting, but I am not sure whether I prefer the new icons.
In any case, you have to fix the pixelization.

Best wishes, --Joris