Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs & Webassembly

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs & Webassembly
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 00:57:05 +0100

HI Joris,

On 26. Jan 2022, at 21:23, TeXmacs <texmacs@lix.polytechnique.fr> wrote:

Hi Max,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 07:04:24PM +0100, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
[...]

Thanks, now it works.  With lots of quirks though.
Especially the size of windows is problematic,
for instance when opening a menu.
But I managed to type some simple text and maths.

Sure, this is essentially the first version which can interpret user input in some useful way. The browser impose some constraints so some work is needed to have working windows and popup.

This looks very promising indeed.  I assume that we could
let TeXmacs run on one or more public servers in this way.

TeXmacs technically runs on your machine, never on the server. You need a server only to serve the code and the data. But this simplifies drastically the distribution since there is only one executable for all the OS and it could work also on tablets.

Any reason why you used the old Widkit instead of the Qt port?

Yes, I'm not sure what is the right approach for the UI in the browser.

1) one possibility is that progressively one move the UI from Widkit to the enclosing browser using standard HTML elements. In this respect Qt is a bit redundant since we do not need anymore the cross-platform layer. Ideally, at the end, all the UI can be implemented in HTML and the graphical canvas contains only the document. This would use the best of the two technologies: the input and the math typesetting is dealt with TeXmacs/C++/Scheme and the UI via the browser/HTML/CSS/_javascript_.

( this is the approach used in AutoCAD web: https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-web-app/overview )

2) One keep using Qt, but has anyway to come up with a different UI than the desktop version since there are limitations of the web platform, e.g. no multiple windows, no modal dialogs, etc... We need to have a "single window" application. If the user wants to have multiple documents it can run multiple instances of TeXmacs in different windows I guess.

Anyway, I will try, as soon as I find some time, to compile the standard Qt interface, it should be possible.

Best,

Max

Best wishes, --Joris