tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss]tpop unable to handle load

From: Richard Stockton
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss]tpop unable to handle load
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:07:24 -0700

Hi Chris,

At 05:28 PM 9/8/2004, you wrote:
> > Another quick check you can do (on a test server, probably...):
> >    for i in `seq 1 N` ; do nc localhost 110 & done
> >
> > where N = 2 × max-children + 1
> >
> > this should give you exactly 2 × max-children `connected'
> > log messages, and exactly one `rejected connection...' log
> > message.
>
> I don't really have a test server to try this on.  Other than
> momentarily shutting out new tpop users, what effect would this
> test have on my live server?

If it has any other effect, it's a bug!

I tried to run the test, but got this;

bash-2.05b# for i in `seq 1 101` ; do /usr/local/nc localhost 110 & done
bash: seq: command not found

It appears that "seq" is supposed to be a builtin command in bash2,
but mine doesn't seem to have it. [sigh]  Any substitute?

If you do the USER+PASS version I sent, you'll get a bit
of a load spike as tpop3d opens all those maildirs.

This one requires "seq" as well.

TIA.